Ever wonder how to make your own chewing tobacco? Well, maybe not, but here's how anyway.
1. Dry and cure your tobacco. This process can range from moderately difficult to extremely complex. For my purposes I a. harvest the leaves, b. tie into bundles, c. hang in the sun for three weeks, d. hang inside for another month. I would suggest looking for further reading on this subject.
2. Strip off the tobacco from the stems and put in a food processor. Give it a few quick spins to shred it to your desired cut. (Long, short, snuff)
3. Take 2 cups of apple juice and simmer them in a stainless saucepan. Reduce by half until thickening and tacky.
4. Stir in a tablespoon or two of blackstrap molasses.
5. Promptly stir in tobacco and turn off heat.
6. Stir until all tobacco is coated and tacky.
7. Bag, or better yet place in an oak cask to cure further.
Center Spirit Award
10 hours ago