Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving thanks, giving back

I am a teacher. I am probably a much better teacher than I am a farmer. I am certified in special education and English and am paid by the state, but I work with homeschool families with special needs children. It's a fantastic arrangement. I get to use the gifts that God has given me to be of service directly to the children and families. Teaching is such a beautiful calling. I feel blessed to go to be able to go to work each day. I begin each day's teaching thinking to myself, "how can I best be of service to these kids?" I work with the parents and children to decide what their needs are and try to meet them.

Kids with special education needs are so amazing to work with. They have such beautiful minds. They may be challenged in one way, but surprise you with their strengths in another. Watching a non-reading student make his first halting attempts to read, then growing into a kid who asks, "what are we going to read about this week?" "How many words do you think I can read in a minute?"

Every day I try to remember the prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi. Lord make me a channel of thy peace...that where there is error, I may bring truth...that where there is doubt, I may bring faith...that where there is despair, I may bring hope...that where there are shadows, I may bring light.

I am truly thankful for the gifts I have been given. The biggest gift of all is the opportunity to be of service to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment