Thursday, December 27, 2012

Cracklin's

Merry Christmas!  We were in Oregon at my wife's family's home.  We needed some last minute lard to cook our turkey with, and we didn't have any.  We did have 25 pounds of unrendered pork fat and decided to make lard.  We chopped the fat and put it in a crockpot overnight.  Not only did it make us some great lard, but it left us with a whole mess of cracklin's.  Cracklin's are the by product of lard making. They are a crispy, salty treat.

What a wonderful visit.  We are headed off home tomorrow and back to our farm.  It'll be nice to get back to the animals, but it was also nice to have a break from the daily animal chores.  Our wonderful farm sitter handled all the chores for the few days we were out of town.

Whisper, one of our goats and one of our best milkers, injured her face right before we left.  Apparently she is fine, but I would like to see her for myself.

I hope this season finds you blessed with family, friends, and good food.  I know we enjoyed our cracklin's Christmas morning.


1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas to you too! I have a bunch of pork fat. I just might try putting it in the crock pot. Never thought of that. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete