Thursday, December 6, 2012

Small Things...


“Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary….Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.”  Mother Teresa

  I was talking with a friend and spiritual advisor, lamenting that I had been so preoccupied with the everyday chores and responsibilities that I wasn’t able to focus on a broader vision for our lives.  Being a hopeless list maker I sat down to write a Five Year Plan.  Lists are great and this list was a good exercise, but it essential to remember that seeing to my daily tasks with love and faithfulness is where my strength lies.

Feeding and milking the goats with love and care.  Making sure the dogs get enough attention.  Homeschooling the kids.  Showing little Russell how much I love him.  Cooking for the family.  Even washing the dishes.  All of these “chores” can be done with an attitude of love and faith.  Even down to the minutiae of what words I choose to use with the boys, seasoning the breakfast vegetables the way my wife likes them, saving the asparagus stalks for the goats. All of these things can be done prayerfully.

It is also important to have a longer range vision too though.  What would our life look like if we could realize all of our dreams?  I don’t dream of winning the lottery or being rich.  In fact, I’d prefer not to win the lottery.  I dream of making a living at the farmers market, of raising most or all of our own food, and of breeding and selling heritage livestock. 

So what are your dreams?  What would you like your life to look like if the possibilities were truly limitless?  Who knows.  Maybe they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment