Sunday, January 17, 2010

Shooting

A friend and I had a great time shooting shotguns (trap) and revolvers in the pasture today. I was alarmed by my saggy pants in this picture though. My belly is too big, and I have no rear end apparently. I need to lose some weight around the middle and find another brand of jeans.

Back to the shooting. We shot trap with 20 gauge shotguns. I have a nice Charles Daly side-by-side. It's my lightweight rabbit, grouse, pheasant, partridge gun. Good for walking all day with. We also shot my .44 special Smith and Wesson revolver, a Ruger .22 single-six, and my friends Glock .45.

All of my guns have actual hunting or animal defense uses. The .44 is my hiking and hunting sidearm. Potentially useful for black bears and mountain lions. The single-six could, theoretically, be used for grouse or rabbits. I actually shot a grouse with it once on a backpacking trip, but I've don't really try to hunt with it any more. It made a great backcountry meal. A welcome break from freeze dried noodles and peas.

We both shot well in trap with the shotguns, making me eager to grouse hunt with the new puppy next fall. I shot about 7 out of 10, while my friend hit one 10 out of 10.

Well, it's off to process the rest of this falls apples. Apple sauce, apple butter, and pie filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment