Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sausage Making


Finally got around to making more venison sausage. I usually mix 1/2 venison and 1/2 fatty pork. I used breakfast sausage spices for this batch. Ginseng, nutmeg, white pepper, thyme, and salt. I accidentally added more Ginseng than I had planned on. Unfortunately I was tired and didn't want to take the time to stuff it into sheep casings. I like links more than bulk sausage, but there it is. Jenny and I are going to make some more sausage on one of her visits soon. Maybe bratwurst. Those we'll stuff into casings for sure. Everything is more fun when you're doing it with a friend.

I've been crazy busy the last couple of days. I forgot how emotionally draining it is to teach special education. I came home last night, called Jenny and fell asleep for an hour. I have so much to do before Friday. I'm headed to Jenny's house for a visit. It's about 4 hours away. I have to get the chicken coop cleaned before I leave, but I teach tomorrow and have an administrative meeting as well. I'll either end up cleaning the coop at night by the headlights of the tractor or doing it Friday morning before I leave. Neither option sounds great. Nobody likes to shovel poop. Especially on a dark, winter night. I also have to deliver eggs and check on a friends cat early tomorrow morning before work. Poor me...LoL.

I'm actually loving this week of teaching. It's been going great. Both the kids and I have a lot more energy after the Christmas break. I am so blessed to have a job that I love. And a farm that I love to take care of. And a beautiful woman in my life. Life is good, I feel truly blessed.

Teaching quote for the day: "To stimulate ... untrained minds is to play with mighty fires." W.E.B. Du Bois

1 comment:

  1. Russell, I'm so glad to hear that you are happy! Although you still have to shovel poop. hehehhe

    ReplyDelete