Tuesday, November 20, 2012

We Love Food


Food.  It is the focus of our lives.  We grow food.  We raise animals.  We milk goats.  We milk cows.  We gather eggs.  We sell food too.  Milk, cheese, eggs, and sometimes vegetables.  And, of course, we eat food.  We eat good food.  Not too much food.  Not processed food.  Just good, wholesome, and usually organic, local food. 

We eat lots and lots of vegetables.  But we also eat lots of meat and dairy.  We enjoy butter, lard, bacon, and sausage.  Usually from our own animals.  We eat raw milk cheeses.  Goats milk cheeses, cow’s milk cheeses, mostly of our own making.

We love to cook.  Today’s specialties we bacon wrapped dates and pecans.  (OK, so the dates and pecans weren’t local…)  We also made a wonderful pumpkin curry soup.  (That was local and mostly grown by us.)

I originally started writing a manifesto on why it’s so important to eat local and organic food.  It ended up sounding self-righteous and egotistical.  I believe in what I do, a large part of which revolves around how I choose to eat, but I don’t need to convince the world to eat the way we do.

I can, however, suggest some great foodie writers.  Michael Pollan is one.  Barbara Kingsolver, who wrote a wonderful book called “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle”, is another.  The book I’m reading by Joel Salatin is also fantastic.

Anyway, I hope you have been blessed with a good, warm, home-cooked meal with your family tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment