Friday, December 11, 2009

Kapusta!



Kapusta! A holiday tradition in my family. Kapusta is simply the Polish word for cabbage. There are as many Polish recipes for cabbage as there are families from Poland. I grew up with my great aunt making this recipe every Thanksgiving. It was my favorite of all the Thanksgiving treats. I now make it every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. It is, like many good things in life, quite simple.

1/2 pound bacon
Large Polish Sausage
1 head cabbage
1 quart jar of sauerkraut
vinegar
sugar
salt

Fry up your bacon and drain. Set bacon aside. Take your cabbage and chop it into 1/4 inch strips. Pile the cabbage into a big stainless steel pot with a cup of water and cook down at medium heat. When the cabbage has softened, add a splash of vinegar and a little sugar. Stir in the jar of sauerkraut. Chop your sausage into 1/4 inch slices and throw in the pot. Chop the bacon and toss that in too. Cook on medium heat for another 15 minutes. Enjoy hot!

1 comment:

  1. Cool Blog! I found you at BWH.
    I remember growing up if I went to my Gramma's EVERY Saturday there was the smell of cabbage as I came up the back stairs. It was the smell of Gramma's house. :)She also made lots of kraut and usually a beef 'veg-et-e-table soup on Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete